Thursday, September 4, 2008

Onion Days

This Labor Day weekend was the back drop for the annual John Clark Reunion. (My immediate family). My mom chose Labor day because it is the weekend Payson-my hometown-has it's celebration. We did something new this year thanks to an idea from my friend Rebecca. We are going to have themes each year like pirates, the beach, cowboys and indians, etc. She said it makes each year more memorable. This year Jeff and I were in charge and decided to do an olympic theme seeing that they just wrapped up in Beijing and we loved every minute of it. We camped out in the back yard to free up house space and just to have lots of fun!

We were very sad in part because my younger sister Katrine lives in Houston and couldn't make it along with my youngest brother Bradley who comes home from his Argentinian mission in 30 days. We still managed to have a good time though. What follows will be a ton of pictures, I might decide to do the weekend in different posts so it's not too overwhelming. I am going to post most of them seeing that Katrine and Bradley want to see everything that went on.

Anyway on with the pics........ Friday night we set up out tents and just got settled. Saturday morning we began the events. We had the Discus and Hammer throw at our church. While we watied for Patrick to take his car to the shop the rest of us played a riveting game of crouquet. (I know Trinie, it just wasn't the same without you!!). Things to note...Do you see Patrick's awesome discus form? Well, his first throw ended up bouncing of the chapel and into the bushes. Morgan had to fish it out. Then, do you see Patrick's big fat Disqualification? He threw the hammer onto the roof and had to fetch it. Mom never knew all those times he snuck up on the roof as a child would come in handy. Then I think it was Morgan or Dad but the threw the hammer into the pine tree. Lucky it was the last competitor. What do you think of Jeff trying to fetch it by displaying his awesome vertical?




We then went back to the house for a pie eating contest. Well, Ding Dongs-this is the Clark olympics after all!! I chose not to post a super not nice photo of my mom digging in but if you'd like to see it I can send it to you email!! On Sunday we all sang a song in my Mom's sacrament meeting and then we played bocce at Barnett elementary. That night we watched our Olympic movie Cool Runnings and had lots of treats.

I will save the Monday parade and the ping pong tournament for another post. My back is starting to hurt.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Looks like you guys had lots of fun! what a great idea--the Olympics! We'll have to try that next year for our family reunion.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Risae! I know this is a lot of work, and I REALLY appreciate it. I loved Jeff's vertical. I think sound effects on that one would be fun. How about "oooh! ooooh! I gottit, I gottit,...I ain't gottit."
Who won the croquet match? Did you play poison as well?
And yes, I definitely would like to see mom's ding-dong face. Maybe we can blackmail her into giving us back some of our embarrassing teenage pictures.